Operation Luxor singled out the Muslim community and was fraught with controversy, with recent legal cases deeming it unlawful and demonstrating that it was politically motivated.
Operation Luxor: Unravelling the myths behind Austria’s largest ever peacetime police raids comes exactly one year on from ‘Operation Luxor’, and raises very serious questions about state corruption, a growing Islamophobia network within the Austrian state enabling abuses of the law, and how the government of Sebastian Kurz sought to exploit ISIS attacks in Vienna to target Austria’s Muslim population.
Featuring forewords by CAGE’s Research Director Dr Asim Qureshi and Dr Farid Hafez, a prominent Muslim academic and a survivor of the operation, the report reveals:
- The Austrian state’s unlawful assault on Austrian Muslims through ‘Operation Luxor’.
- Documents, for the first time, testimonies of those targeted in Operation Luxor, capturing in detail the violations they experienced.
- Details the dark nexus of Islamophobia providing material assistance to the Austrian state in its targeting of Muslims.
- Exposes how some academics funded by the state to justify their actions are advocates for the neo-Nazi ‘Great Replacement Theory’, while another was cited as an authority by mass murdering neo-Nazi Anders Breivik.
- Details how the Austrian Government has attempted to deflect attention from a series of corruption scandals by clamping down on Muslims.
As the Austrian government leverages its Islamophobic policies to position itself as leader in Europe on ‘counter-terror’ measures, our report highlights that this is little more than an attempt to internationalise its blueprint for repression.
(NOTE: CAGE represents cases of individuals based on the remit of our work. Supporting a case does not mean we agree with the views or actions of the individual. Content published on CAGE may not reflect the official position of our organisation.)